Conflict and Stability
Africa continues to grow more stable. There are fewer wars than a generation ago, yet conflict and extremism remain one of the region’s most acute constraints to growth and prosperity.
Wasafiri brings deep experience of fragile and conflict-affected states right across Africa, from Darfur to Somalia. We understand what it takes to work with actors as disparate as civilian, military, private sector and political institutions and know just how hard it is to translate aspiration to reality in these environments.
Tackling the roots of instability and extremism is a deeply complex and often contested undertaking. Stabilisation, peacebuilding and conflict mitigation processes must find ways to promote legitimate political settlements, reduce violence, protect and nurture key institutions, and prepare the ground for longer-term recovery.
The painstaking, sensitive, but vital work of countering violent extremism requires understanding the complexity of the problem, engaging deeply with the context in which radicalisation occurs, and nurturing local leadership for home-grown initiatives to foster resilience and tackle the roots of vulnerability.
In such fragile environments, few individuals or organisations have the capacity or legitimacy to drive change alone. We are able to bring new ways of working across fault lines, working with affected communities, to offer the following services;
- Assessing local vulnerability
- Understanding resilience capacities
- Examining structural issues
- Mapping stakeholder interests
- Analysing local dynamics (social, political, security, economic)
- Risk management
- Community driven planning approaches
- Adaptive theories of change and results frameworks
- Investment strategies
- Pilot intervention design
- Project management approaches
- Monitoring & evaluation frameworks
- Stakeholder consultation
- Developing partnerships and networks
- Facilitating planning processes